Thursday, May 01, 2008

A Sequel: Things Men Shouldn't Be Allowed To Do. OR "Girls Best Friend"

"I'm sorry ma'am, you're right, you're not a whore. But you're certainly wearing a whore's uniform."
-- Dave Chappelle

If you look it up, you will probably find that in American culture, the most consistent demographic reservoir for decorative earring has generally been women. There was a phenomenon during the sixties where it gained popularity amongst the sailor, hipster, and homosexual scenes respectively. But it has generally always been more popular among women to wear decorative piercings in the ear.
I think in the culture of the modern American male, it really started to take off in popularity mostly as a way to draw attention to oneself. From there, it slowly evolved from a mere attempt at distinction, into useful surface area for displaying one's wealth of disposable income. This is all fine, but within the last decade or two I think the general acceptance of earrings and jewelry on men collided and multiplied with what has been noted by some scholars as the feminization of American culture. This is where I begin to see a problem.
Men are becoming more and more like women, and I personally think this is not really a good thing. You don't have to look far today to find an example of a man exhibiting behavior that was historically thought of to be effeminate. I'm not meaning to talk about sexuality and all of that, just human behavior, specifically as it pertains to certain portions of the modern male population. Turn on the TV during any celebrity event, or watch a music video channel for long enough and you will surely see a man somewhere, donning more decorative jewels than Liberace himself ever embraced.
Necklaces, (or chains as they call them so they don't feel gay), earrings, bracelets, rings on every finger. Diamonds, diamonds, everywhere. Sure they're nice, they're shiny, they're valuable, but what does the diamond industry call them? The people who make their living mining, cutting, polishing, fixing and selling diamonds, how did they first choose to market them? "A girl's best friend." Not a guy's best friend. And the reason for that is, they were really meant for women. Women love diamonds, it's a fact. Now, men love diamonds too. But that's fine, I'm not hating, go right ahead if you're a man that just happens to be into jewels. But don't stop there, why not grab yourself a nice fur while you're at it. Mink, coon, chinchilla, pick one. Any fur coat you like fellas, have one, you deserve it, you've earned the money, you might as well blow it to show it.
In my 25 years of life, I can remember a time when it was almost unheard of for a man to wear a fur coat. Now, no one really bats an eye. Why? Well obviously something happened, but what was it?
I've now had several conversations with girls where I have been told that one thing they're noticing more and more is that as they put it, "guys are getting way too emotional and sensitive." There it is again, more words being used to describe guys that even now if heard on their own almost always invoke an image of the opposite sex. Yet, it's being applied to the male of the species. What's going on?
As I generally don't really notice details about men's faces it took another young lady to point out to me that a young gentleman we both know has taken to arching his eyebrows. Wow, I thought. I would have never noticed that. Nor would I have ever thought that a man would do such a thing, especially a man who is ostensibly into women. In fact I don't think I'd ever used the words 'arch' and 'eyebrows' in the same sentence before that point.
Two of my female law school classmates have independently made me aware of an even more fascinating trend. Apparently it is becoming commonplace for guys to say to them, (upon learning of their status as future attorneys which is often intimately tied to the notion of making lots of money however wrong it may be), "Oh you're in law school? I better hurry up and get you pregnant." I still don't want to believe it, but I can see that happening, and this is terrible. This is terrible because it use to be strictly the province of women to use sex/creating children as a means of securing a man's financial resources for her kids'/her own benefit. And this is much easier for them to do as they are the ones who actually make the kids. Now, apparently the shoe has switched feet.
My point is this, men are men, and women are women. Everyone is born with one role or the other. If they start blending into one, where does that leave us? Wherever that is, the only thing I know for sure is that I need to be elsewhere.
Gentleman, fellas, boys, whatever, sooner or later you gotta man up.

1 comment:

singleton. said...

you know what shouldn't be a girl's best friend? a man. unless they are married.