Saturday, April 07, 2007

Everybody's an ASSHOLE

I have to apologize for my vulgarity, but my new take on my fellow people is that everybody is a fucking asshole until they show otherwise. I'm tired of it, people deserve no more credit. I was at the bar the other day discussing this and similar matters with my man Mike, (who's one of the ever-shrinking list of people in my life who help to serve as my last bastion of sanity), when this girl walked by. A black girl she was. She had some kind of braided hair on half of her scalp, the other half shiny bald like a nice new pair of brown leather loafers. The braids looked kinda stiff and were flipped into some sort of curl over to the bald side. Through her ear, there was a bone. A bone that looked like at some point in its history, it did its work in the leg of some unfortunate woodland creature who met its demise in some certainly horrible fashion, and donated its once vibrant femur to some knucklehead, hipster-dufus jewelry shop, whereupon it was purchased by our wonderful specimen of humanity which now stood before me. She had nazi-style leather boots on her feet, and some baggy, maroon burlap pants. As she was leaving the bar, she turned to her friend, and out of her mouth came the phrase, "We're going to turn that mother out." My mouth opened to say something, but I just couldn't find the words in my vocabulary to express my precise thoughts at that moment. Mike I'm sure was experiencing the same thing. But what was so disturbing is that no one else so much as batted an eye. If they thought about it at all, I'm sure it was something like 'She's expressing herself'' or, 'she's being her.' You can justify anything if that's how you think. And surely they do. This is life? This girl is a real person? This is normal? I'm done. Everybody's a fucking asshole.

No comments: